College and Career Center Newsletter
Winter Edition 2021
JANUARY SPOTLIGHT - THE LIGHT OF THE NEW YEAR
Welcome to 2021! The New Year brings our students toward the end of the first semester of this academic year but also brings a new semester of discovery and new opportunities.
CURRICULUM CHOICE: Underclassmen will make their course selections for the 2021-2022 school year with their counselors in February and March. Students can begin to enter their preliminary course requests in StudentVUE so they are ready to discuss with their counselor. We hope that students and families found the Curriculum Fair and Night to be helpful in informing the process and encouraging students to consider options they may not have initially considered or were new to them. Links to all curricular resources can be found here.
CRAFTING A FIT COLLEGE LIST: Juniors can sign up to spend time in the College and Career Center (CCC) Google Classroom during 8th periods to research and ask questions about colleges to include in their FIT list. Northwestern University has a terrific webpage dedicated to .
Đặt cược 69 tỷ vào một ngôi nhàThe three main components of FIT:
- Academic→What course of study does the student want to pursue? Is the student looking for study abroad? Co-Op? Research Opportunities?
- Social/Emotional→The college atmosphere aligns with the student's personality and preferences (geographic location, size of institution, diversity). Where will the student feel comfortable and fulfilled?
- Financial→What can the family afford? Never assume you can "figure out the financials later". and Merit Scholarships may be available at your FIT schools. Have honest discussions about schools that are financially feasible.
CELEBRATING THE JOURNEY: Đặt cược 69 tỷ vào một ngôi nhàAs the Class of 2021 enters their final semester, we want them to celebrate their high school journey as they prepare for their post-secondary plans!
Đặt cược 69 tỷ vào một ngôi nhàA note for students as they enter the spring college decision season from Rick Clark, Director of Undergraduate Admission, who writes the :
"I hope you remember college admission decisions are not character judgments or predictions of future potential. Getting in, or not getting in, to a particular school does not change who you are, the feasibility of your goals, or define you in a substantive way."
We look forward to accompanying our seniors toward graduation this June!
Edison High School’s 11th Annual Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) Fair
Edison’s Annual HBCU Fair will be held on Monday, February 22, 2021 from 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. This year the fair will be held virtually. Colleges are still signing up and students can reference for a list of participants and more information (FCPS Google Account required). Each college will present for 10 minutes. After the college presentation, students will have an opportunity to move to a supervised link to ask questions and speak with the college representative.
National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) Spring 2021 Virtual College Fairs
First virtual fair is January 31, 2021 | More information and registration details .
The FCPS curated list can be found in . Below are some recent updates:
- | Jan. 16 – 18, 2021
- | deadline March 5, 2021
- | deadline March 10, 2021
- | deadline March 17, 2021
- | deadline April 1, 2021
- | event date July 4 – 16, 2021 or July 4 – 23, 2021
- | event date July 5 – 31, 2021
- | multiple event dates in July 2021
- | event date 2021
The FCPS curated list can be found in . Below are some recent updates:
- Point Scholarship | deadline Jan. 25, 2021
- Naomi Rabb Winston Scholarship in Art | deadline Feb. 1, 2021
- Team DC Student-Athlete Scholarship | deadline Feb. 19, 2021
- AFCEA – Washington DC Chapter Scholarship | deadline Feb. 25, 2021
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. | Fairfax County Alumnae Chapter | deadline Feb. 26, 2021
- TGNCK Founder’s Scholarship | deadline March 1, 2021
- Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation | deadline March 2, 2021
- Alpha Phi Alpha Jewel Scholarship | deadline March 12, 2021
- Apple Scholarships | deadline March 15, 2021
- OppU Achievers Scholarship | deadline March 31, 2021
- Naval Officers’ Spouses Club of Washington, DC Scholarship | deadline April 1, 2021
- Allegra Ford Thomas Scholarship | deadline April 5, 2021
- Anne Ford Scholarship | deadline April 5, 2021
- Committee for Dulles Community Outreach Scholarship | deadline April 9, 2021
- Cancer Scholarship | deadline June 15, 2021
- Community Leadership Scholarship | deadline June 15, 2021
- Safe Driving Practices for the Next Generation Scholarship | deadline June 15, 2021
- Simmrin Law Group Entrepreneurial Scholarship | deadline June 15, 2021
- | Completed application with recommendation due to Ms. Wolf in the CCC by February 26, 2020. NVADACA limits the school to sending six applications. Listing will be removed in Naviance when six completed applications have been received.
OTHER SCHOLARSHIP SEARCH SITES
Students should research all Merit Scholarship opportunities that are offered by the colleges to which they plan on applying and follow the college's application timelines for these specific opportunities. Some popular scholarship sites:
Đặt cược 69 tỷ vào một ngôi nhà | Earn money for college starting in 9th grade based on achievements in school and life.
(Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and Financial Aid resources | Visit for virtual resources or to register for workshops.
Teen Depression: A Webinar for Families | Friday, February 5, 2021 | Time: 10 – 11:30 a.m.
- What is “major depression"?
- Assessing depression in teens
- How to get help
- Treatment of depression
- Parenting a teen with depression
- Depression in teens and COVID-19
Presented by Chana Engel who is a Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner in the Mood Brain & Development Unit at the National Institutes of Mental Health (NIMH).
From Chaos to Calm: Strategies for Families to Create Calm and Confidence in the Midst of Chaos and Uncertainty: A Webinar for Families | Friday, February 12, 2021 | Time: 10 – 11:30 a.m.
Learn practical tools that can be applied IMMEDIATELY to restore your sense of calm and focus so you have the energy and confidence you need to cultivate joy and connection in your family.
Đặt cược 69 tỷ vào một ngôi nhàPresented by Corinne Coppola, M.A., and Well-Being Professional.
Đặt cược 69 tỷ vào một ngôi nhàFriday, February 12, 2021 10 – 11:30 a.m.
Questions? Reach out to Student Services.
The information provided is for your information and review. Scholarships and enrichment programs offered by organizations other than FCPS are neither sponsored nor endorsed by FCPS, the Fairfax County School Board, the Superintendent or TJHSST. Students and parents should carefully review all application requirements. Parents/Guardians need to confirm the details, accuracy and relevance of any program chosen for their student. This document contains links to one or more web pages that are outside the FCPS network. Neither FCPS nor TJHSST controls the content or relevancy of these outside pages.
External opportunities may utilize an online technology, or video and web conferencing tool that has not been assessed or approved for use in FCPS by the FCPS Department of Information Technology. Students should gain permission from their parent/guardian before engaging in any non-FCPS enrichment opportunity. Families should review and agree to the Terms of Service and User Agreements for any technology platform used to facilitate these opportunities.